Eduardo “Randy” Sobrepeña to Represent the Philippines at the RFC Grand Finals 2018 in Malaysia
Team Philippines' Eduardo ‘Randy’ Sobrepeña and Ronnie ‘Box-C’ Malonzo from the Pampanga Off-roaders Club Inc (PORCI) will represent the Philippines at the RFC Grand Finals 2018 to be held in Malaysia from November 23 to December 4, 2018. Dubbed the “Olympics of Off-Road Racing”, the Rainforest Challenge (RFC) is the most internationally represented off-road jungle adventure competition in the world.
The RFC is among the Top Ten Toughest Motor Races in the World, with the world-renowned races such as the – Baja 1000, Dakar Rally, 24 Hours of Le Mans, Pikes Peak, and Nurburgring 24. The annual event is staged in the treacherous jungles of Malaysia where driving skills and 4x4 off-road vehicles are put to the test amid the harsh rainforest environment and unpredictable weather. The race attracts teams from every corner of the globe.
Sobrepeña and Malonzo emerged as winners in the RFC Global Series Philippines Championship Race held last August 24 to 27, 2018 in Pampanga, earning the privilege of representing the country in the RFC Grand Finals. They will be competing in a Land Cruiser FJ40 and together with international competitors from over 30 countries, they will race in the 10-day off-road jungle adventure competition under the most extreme conditions of mud, rain-soaked jungle, swollen river beds, monsoon, and humidity.
| Photos by Robby Consunji
Event Schedule RFC Grand Final 2018
(Subject to changes on venues & campsites)
- 21-22 Nov: Arrival of foreign participants & media to Kuala Lumpur. Check in @ RFC official hotel, Kuala Lumpur
- 22 Nov: Depart for Kota Bahru (Kelantan). Car trailers are available at own cost for transporting 4x4 race and support vehicles to Kota Bahru (KB). Contact RFC secretariat.
- 23 Nov: Official registration @ GRV, KB.
- 23 Nov: Vehicle Scrutinizing @ Dataran Redha, Kota Lama, KB
- 24 Nov: Official Flag Off ceremony from the State Tourism Board of Kelantan. Venue: Dataran Redha, Kota Lama, KB. Police-escorted convoy to Tumpat @ Pantai Sri Tujuh for Prologue SS 1-6 and Campsite 1.
- 25 Nov: Depart Tumpat for Air Naga (Water Dragon), Tanah Merah. Tourism attraction along the way. Refueling stop @ PETRON, Belimbing, Tanah Merah.
- 25 Nov: Welcome to Predator I @ Water Dragon (Air Naga) for SS7-10. Campsite II
- 26 Nov: Predator I for SS 11-14. Overnight Campsite II
- 27 Nov: Transport via Sokor to Gua Harimau (Eye of the Tiger) Refuel at Jelawang. No more refueling till 4 Dec.
- 27 Nov: Welcome to Predator II @ Gua Harimau for campsite III for SS15-16.
- 28 Nov: Predator II for SS 17-20. Overnight Campsite III (Eye of the Tiger)
- 29 Nov: Transport to Bering (Water Margin) for Terminator I with SS 21-22.
- 29 Nov: Overnight at Campsite IV Bering (Water Margin). Face the mighty river.
- 30 Nov: Terminator II for SS 23-26. Overnight Campsite IV (Bering)
- 1 Dec: Transport via The Highlanders (Jentera) for Pos Gob. Steep uphill & downhill.
- 1 Dec: Scrutinizing before the Twilight Zone. Campsite V @ Pos Gob, the deepest aborigines settlement in Kelantan.
- 1 Dec: Alternative pincer movement from Gua Musang to Pos Gob for non-racing vehicles to Pos Gob.
- 2 Dec: Twilight Zone of Pos Gob.
- 3 Dec: Exit Twilight Zone Pos Gob for Survival SS 27-30
- 4 Dec: Exit Pos Gob for Kuala Betis & onward to Gua Musang for night closing awards.
The RFC Global Series Philippine Championship Race 2018 was sponsored by: Clark Development Corporation, Petron Corporation, Maxxis Tires, ARB 4x4 Accessories, Old Man Emu, ComeUp Winch, Project Arrow 4x4 Outfitters, Coffee Lab by Conlins Coffee, Romac Group of Companies, LINE-X, CTEK, Bendix, Hardex, BlueChem, Britpart Philippines, Cebuana Lhuillier, WRU GPS Trackers, Red Bull, Motolite, Inbox Stores.Ph, Grand Rajas Block Corp., The Tree of Erwin Dizon, Laus Auto Group, Congressman Mikee Arroyo, Manman Bengco, Fred Lao, Nel Canlas, Joey Bravo, René Mouris, and YSA Skin & Body Experts.
The race was supported by partnerships with: Land Rover Club of the Philippines, Pampanga Off-Roaders Club, Inc., Jungle Base Firing Range & 4x4 Center, Outdoor Challenge Philippines, Pureforce and Rescue Corp., and the AFP Northern Luzon Command.
The local government partners were the Municipality of Arayat, the Municipality of Floridablanca, the Municipality of Porac, Angeles City, and Mabalacat City.
The media partners included Ignition.ph, Autocar Philippines, Mellow 94.7, The Awesome Wake Up Show, Punto Central Luzon, and Adventour Asia International Travel Magazine.